Topband

Re: Topband: Height of Beverage-Driveway

To: rfman45 <rfman45@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Height of Beverage-Driveway
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 23:04:38 -0400
On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:15 PM, rfman45 wrote:

> I'm running a beverage about 10 feet high which must cross a driveway. Now 10
> feet is too low for the occasional truck so what I would like to know is what
> would be the effect on performance if I raise it to 13 feet or so just to
> clear the driveway? I know that beverages can have dips and irregularities
> but would this three foot increase in height for about 10 feet be an issue?

Minor impact.  I have a dirt / gravel driveway, and we have some really tall
delivery trucks on it from time to time, plus I didn't trust the wire to not
sag, thanks to an ice storm or falling branch while I wasn't around.  So I
chose to go "down" instead of "up".  I ran my Beverage to a small tree
alongside the driveway on the south side of it, then straight down the tree and
under the driveway surface in a trench I dug, to a similar tree on the north
side, whereupon the Beverage wire runs back up the tree and continues on its
merry way.

Probably somewhat harder to do it my way if your driveway is paved....

Bud, W2RU
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK