Topband

Re: Topband: unipole

To: Glen <k4kv@mds-ham.com>, TopBand <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: unipole
From: W2XJ <w2xj@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:53:01 -0400
The unipole must be tapped at some point to get a proper match. You really
need to look at the as X and J, not resonance. You can tap for a high
impedance and zero reactance on for 50 ohms and reactance. In either case
some kind of matching will be required. I would go for the high impedance
option and then just use a transformer to get back to 50 ohms. You get
better bandwidth that way and some claim a higher efficiency due to lower IR
losses.