Topband

Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band and JT65
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 17:59:00 -0500
Hi Rick,

That's a very good question indeed!

If we would go back through the Topband archives, I think that a major
factor in this is the CW skill of the operator. Some are not so good (and
we should not berate them for their lack of ability!); and those fellows
will benefit more from the digital modes.

Some folks are simply better at pulling out a very weak CW signal buried in
the noise. I think Tom Rauch, W8JI had something to say about that here in
the past. In any case, I can testify that he can hear weaker CW signals
than I can. In the ARRL 160 (1980?) both of us had cans on connected to his
R-4C in Ohio. And Tom heard the JA from NW Ohio several minutes before I
did!

I am 98% certain that Tom --and others-- can hear weak CW signals between
their two ears below what any digital mode could display on a monitor. For
those naysayers, go search back through the Topband archives here, before
you take issue with that.

Bottom line: whether any digital mode is better than CW depends on the
brain of the operator. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com