Topband

Topband: Recommended Antennas for 160M/80M Receiving

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Recommended Antennas for 160M/80M Receiving
From: Mack McCormick <w4ax.mack@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:11:39 -0500
Friends,

I need to really increase my country count on 160M so I've decided to
installed dedicated receiving antennas. My home is on a 6 acre rectangular
lot so I have room for a couple of 800 ft beverages at 90 degree angles or
an 8 element circular array.

I've been carefully following the discussion about the merits of various 8
element arrays and beverages.

*I "believe" the consensus is that a set of bi-directional beverages will
generally perform better than any 8 element circular array. Am I correct?
I'm specifically speaking about working countries on 160M and 80M.*

I also "believe" the bi-directional antenna choices come down to two
flavors.

The DXEngineering ladder line version or the BevFlex-4 that uses RG-6. *I'm
leaning toward the BevFlex-4.*

I would REALLY appreciate your views on the recommended receive antenna
system if space and money are not big concerns. I'd like to do it correctly
one time and the first time.

Vy 73,

Mack
W4AX