Topband

Re: Topband: Butternut HF2V?

To: Edward <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Butternut HF2V?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 02:20:28 -0700
Hi Ed -

A couple of questions - what is your QTH?  If indeed you are Saudi Arabia,
then you probably can make enough noise with that antenna to create a good
sized pileup - assuming you can get some power to it.  100 watts might be a
bit on the light side.

However, probably a bigger issue is what your received noise is like.  If
you are in a modern city and surrounded by electronic devices - it is
likely your noise level is going to be pretty high - and this might be so
bad that it pushes the "worth it" answer one way or the other.

I have used the Cushcraft MA160V to make QSOs 16000 km away with 100 watts
- but that will take good conditions AND a quiet receiving location.

BTW - I understand 7Z1SJ was active at his sunrise this morning - working
N2IC/5 in New Mexico.

Tree N6TR