Topband

Re: Topband: Fw: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION

To: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:13:33 -0500

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM, DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>wrote:

> Guy,
>
> here is where I believe your mysterious extra "loss" in NEC is coming
> from. You are reading the "average gain" loss. NEC calculates that by
> integrating the power at infinity and dividing by the power into the
> antenna. This accounts for the far-far field ground losses that vertically
> polarized radiation encounters.

Yes, indeed.

But where do those ground losses ACTUALLY start?  Why is it that what you
call "far far" ground losses can vary by raising very low feed points small
amounts above ground that could not possibly be pattern changing in the
distance?  What you call "far far" losses start at the BASE of the antenna
IF the lossy dielectric of the earth is NOT effectively shielded by an
opposite and equal counter-field supplied by dense radials (why proper
radials are best).  This is a kind of loss that Roy Lewallen terms
underestimated in NEC4.

If one understands that the losses to ground in the distance start at the
end of a dense radial field, and beyond that point manage to lose 3.9 dB
for a 1/4 wave system, then what happens to the level of loss when the
radius or density of the shielding effect is reduced.  What if the
shielding extent and density is reduced to NOTHING by use of a ground rod
as a counterpoise?

When all of this was being shaken out, nobody with money was carefully
calculating the Sommerfield ground estimation method for a BC tower
connected to a ground rod, or ten foot radials.  Gotta remember all that
stuff was NOT written for hams, NOT written for us and our faint imitations
of proper commercial solutions.  NEC is just not calibrated for a lot of
the stuff that we try over really dreadful dirt.  We're just hoping that
the extrapolation down into too-small attempts holds.  The extrapolation
seems to have some severe problems.

> But, this is not how we report the radiation efficiency of a vertical.
> That is defined as the radiated energy in the far field (but not too far)
> divided by the power into the antenna.

Doesn't a term such as radiated energy in the near far field have to run in
lock step via formula with the EZNEC loss figure?  Using mV/m figures at a
mile or a kilometer is FAR, isn't it?

And if it doesn't track, is the term worth anything for real application?
 The range of the integration is the same for both processes, and with one
degree points in EZNEC the difference should be way down in the decimal
points.

And are you saying that the 3.9 dB out there isn't actually lost, that it's
really there somehow because its not seen in something called radiation
efficiency?  The experience says that the loss is there, and the bulk of
anecdotal material says the loss can be worse than calculated.

I'm just saying that we mark as risky, possibly really bad, anything not
reasonably close to full size, dense and uniform all around, or not
specifically designed to operate without commercial radials with specific
attention to minimization of ground induction from counterpoise and
vertical radiators.

Faint imitations of radials are going to cost us loss, and the really
unfortunate ones can send us down toward 20 dB.  The sooner we figure out
exactly why the better.  Denial doesn't cut it anymore. RBN is double
blind.  RBN is essentially verifying the anecdotes rather than
contradicting them.

73, Guy.