Topband

Re: Topband: 160 inverted L radials question

To: StellarCAT <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 inverted L radials question
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 22:14:08 +0000
Hi, Jimmy,

If the question is whether laying a single 30 foot wire on the ground from
a vertical feedpoint at the ground to the radial center is lossy, it is.
For At least two reasons.

First, a single wire carrying max antenna current is laying on the ground
for 30 feet.

Second, without the low net field device of the vertical wire against
radial wires eminating from the feedpoint, the lowest ten to twenty feet of
vertical loses with an unmitigated induction of lossy ground underneath.

For both the issue is heavy induction causing ground loss.

Either pull the vertical wire at a slant from the center of the existing
radial field, put down a new radial field or go to an elevated counterpoise
at 8 feet or higher. Given the simplicity of an FCP, and that it has worked
well at KP2M, that might free resources for other reconstruction without a
compromise related lossy cost involved.

73, Guy K2AV

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:08 AM, StellarCAT <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com> wrote:

> Hi folks:Iam in the process to reinstall an inverted L antenna. Due to the
> category 5 hurricane that passthru the island of ST.CROIX usvi i loss 2
> towers
> and antennas.one of the towers use to support and inverted L antenna for
> 160  with radials all over the tower. I will reinstall the  inverted L on a
> different location about 25 or 30 feet away from the original location.my
> question is could i use the same radials from the previous location just
> running one wire attach to the radial system to the new inverted Lground
> section?
> ThanksKP2BH/Jimmy
> _________________ Jimmy,The replies you are getting seem a bit over the
> top ... forgive me for saying that to those that replied “it won’t work”.
> We’re talking about160 here – so 30’ is what, 0.06 WL’s! I’d do it if that
> is what you can do ... and add to it in the opposite direction... I doubt
> seriously thatyou’re going to see any real disadvantage to doing it in this
> manner. You’ll have decreased losses where you have the more denseground
> field unless you can add to it going in the direction you’re moving it in
> which case it won’t really make that much difference. Gary   K9RX

Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone