Topband

Re: Topband: 230+ QSLs On LOW Dipole - There's Hope!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 230+ QSLs On LOW Dipole - There's Hope!
From: Buck wh7dx <wh7dx@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:42:51 -1000
I got my first confirmation that the low dipole is working and not just
transmitting straight up into the air......

Last night my Elmer came over to play around with the CQ CW...

Around 11PM Hawaii Time or 09:00 UTC...

He worked 18 stations in one hour.  (I'm in the process of learning CW).  All
over the U.S., Jamaica and Curacao.

K3LR, W8UVZ, K7BG, AJ6T, W0AIH, N6ML, N0IJ, KF4Y, N7AT, K9CT, W7CB, N6MW, W6PH,
W3LPL, W5TVN, 6Y3M, K0RF, PJ2T (5824 miles)

The conditions weren't ideal with a few thunderstorms around the islands and A7
/ K3.   Not real quiet.

The Array Solutions RF limiter works well with the Yaesu 897D and Beverage
Antenna to protect the receiver (S-5 to S+20 or so).   The beverage makes a
clear difference.

It looks like we were getting about 500W out of the 811H with the slightly
inverted dipole about 30 feet off the ground at the center and 15 on the ends.

Because of the lack of coax.... the beverage is about 30 feet to the side of
the low dipole approx. running down about 180ft of the dipole antenna.. and
then on for another 420ft etc.

It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

I like tuning the two radios and turning the volume down on the TX while
listening on the RX radio.   It's a little more work than using the DX
Engineering Auto Switch but it was a simple hook-up and I wasn't even sure if
my TX would work??  :-)

I'm pretty sure the 230ft off the ocean with quick drop-off and proximity help.
 I'd like to model my antenna's to see.

Thank you guys!    That made my weekend.    Now I can play with this and get my
CW going.

Bryan
WH7DX

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is
proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will
almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the
population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky
recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the
proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any
thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such
case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving
this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the
U.N....  Have a nice day.