Topband

Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: "sebdesn" <sebdesn@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:59:18 -0700

The work I have not seen done (hint, hint, N6LF) is to quantify the effect
of starting with the limited count, very short radial field ( 8, 12, or 16
radials) then as you add to the radial count make the new radials longer
than the existing ones.
New length(s) to be based on the table that has been presented here while
still retaining the shorter radials...
- which is based on the monograph published by Brown, Lewis, and Epstein in
June 1937 while working for RCA -
It does not seem likely to me that the short radials will suddenly lose
their efficiency at gathering in earth currents simply because of the
presence of longer radials interspersed between them...
Lets blue sky a radial install schedule for 40/80/160m verticals based on
the work by Rudy Severn N6LF...
One could start with 8 radials of 21/42/84 feet, respectively..
Then next 4 radials make them 24/48/96 feet each..
Then next 4 make them 26/52/104 respectively...
Next 8 radials at 30/60/120...
Next 8 radials at 33/66/132...
Next 18 radials could be added at .30 wave..
And any above that added at .4 wave...

While this may seem a bit mickey mouse, for a ham who is not able to put
down a full radial field at day one, this will maximize the effect of his
additional wire which can be done in sets, over a season or two....

This seems like a perfect next study for our indefatigable Rudy...

denny / k8do

There was an article by Rob Sherwood in Ham radio mag years ago using
chicken wire ground screens.. And seems like there was another one, but
can't remember where
73
Bud WOHG