Topband

RE: Topband: radial layout and pattern skew

To: "Tony Reynolds" <kb8jvh@reydata.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: radial layout and pattern skew
From: "Eric Scace K3NA" <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:23:42 -0400
Hi Tony --

   EZNEC 3 is not capable of modeling radials at 3-inches above ground.

   A 3-inch separation between ground and radial is below 0.001 wavelength at
160m.  Even with NEC4 one should avoid modeling wires
within 0.001 wavelength of the ground (unless these wires are vertical
connections through the ground interface).

   NEC4 models indicate you will not see a significant pattern variation with
azimuth in your situation.

   More importantly, since radials can't go into the dense woods, just build
what you can and get on the air.

-- Eric K3NA