Topband

Re: Topband: Beverage Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Question
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:17:59 -0500
Several replies were received regarding the use of insulated wire versus bare
wire for the beverages.  All were in agreement no difference in performance
would be seen by going with insulated wire instead of bare wire.

Yes, my question was related to the velocity factor with insulation on the
wire.

The short beverages do work. My terrain can be classified as extreme. My
transmit antennas are on top of a hill in the available level space, but  the
beverages are on the hill sides and in the valley.  The ground is very rocky,
especially on my hilltop.  There is a thick sandstone layer about 3' below the
surface, with other rock layers at different horizons below.  We have had good
luck with the short beverages.  I would like to have a longer one just to see
what difference the length makes.

On Oct 24 we celebrated 2 full years of 160 operation from this QTH, which
seems to play well on 160 even with area, ground and terrain profile
limitations.  With simple tree supported inverted L's and the short beverages,
we have managed to work 180 countries and 35 zones in 2 years, so I can't
complain.

One day I would like to try one of the short vertical receiving arrays or a
rotary flag.  Projects for another day.

Thanks to all for the reponses.

73 Charlie N8RR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK