Topband

Re: Topband: The Slingshot Option

To: <kj9c@iquest.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The Slingshot Option
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 08:33:44 -0500

Bow and arrow is my preferred method.  Years ago, I used a bow and arrow to put
wires in trees on the WV hillsides.  However, when starting on 160 fall of
2008, a fancy slingshot was purchased.  This worked, but I could not get enough
height and multiple attempts were nearly always required.

In fall of 2009, I reverted to methods of my youth and used a Bear bow and
fiberglass arrows.  The pull on the bow was adjusted down as we are not trying
to put the arrow into orbit. I tape the round part of a 5/8" ground rod clamp
to the end of the arrow.  This is perfect, enough weight to make the arrow come
down to the ground without hanging in the tree, but not so much weight that it
prevents getting the shot high enough.

I shoot a fishing line first, then pull masonry twine over with that, and last
pull the antenna support rope over the tree.  The reel I use is not mounted on
anything, it is just placed on the ground behind me and off the the side a bit.

Using this method, I can line up a shot to go over two trees.  It seldom
requires more than one attempt.  With a slingshot, I could never get the line
over/through one tree in the exact place targeted.

73 Charlie N8RR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK