Topband

Topband: Bobtail curtain

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Bobtail curtain
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@telepak.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:47:22 -0500
I wish someone familiar with using EZNEC would explain this to me:

Just for fun, I thought I would model the well-known bobtail curtain
array. I say "just for fun" because I know I'll never be able to put
up a full-sized one for 160M, so I thought I might investigate how it
would work with reduced height vertical elements. First step, I
thought, would be to model a full-sized one, and then play around with it.

Here's the problem though. Every time I try to model a full-sized
bobtail using five wires everything looks good until I run an FF plot
in the vertical plane. Every time, the elevation angle is very high
(64 degrees, I think it was). I thought the bobtail was supposed to
be a good low-angle radiator, like the vertical elements it is composed of.

What's going on? What am I doing wrong?

Charles - K5ZK