Topband

Re: Topband: inverted L fed with coax (Tom Williams)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: inverted L fed with coax (Tom Williams)
From: G3SED@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:17:53 EDT
topband-request@contesting.com writes:

inverted  L fed with coax (Tom Williams)
A week ago I removed the UNUN and replaced it with a simple shunt coil.  My
SWR is now 1.2:1 at the base and 1:1 back in the shack on 1830 kHz. It was
nice to load the amplifer normally and get 1 kW output with only 3 W
reflected!  The 2:1 SWR bandwidth in the shack is 60 kHz.

Tom
I use exactly the  same method for feeding my inverted L  ( 66ft  vertical
66ft horizontal ) with 140 1/4 wave radials. A shunt coil of  approximately
the same dimensions as yours, I have never felt the need for an  UNUN feed.
By tapping the coil it's easy to find the "sweet spot" for  1:1 SWR and once
matched, works really well ( I have over 267 countries on  160 metres ).

73's

Mike G3SED