Topband

Topband: Stone age arguments

To: rick darwicki via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stone age arguments
From: Roger Cooke <roger@g3ldi.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 21:09:59 +0100
Hi.

I have been following this argument with some amusement. Only because it can relate to just about any situation that we can think of.
Example 1

I got a teleprinter in 1959 and put it on the air. I was told in no uncertain terms that the awful jingle-bell QRM was not amateur radio and not wanted on the bands.

   Fast forward to 2017. It's the most used data mode there is!

Example 2

I built an SSB exciter in 1962 and was told that no way should that duck-talk be on the amateur bands. It was not wanted and should be banned. Look at the bands now. How many AM stations do you hear?

Example 3

I built the TNC-1 first packet board in 1982. I was accused of QRM on the bands ( VHF and HF ) that was not wanted and would not last. OK, it did get knocked out by the Internet, but so has a lot of other stuff and it did last for a number of years culminating in me running the UK Satgate. Yes, I was very sad at its demise.

Example 4

A local station has been active on EME for years with his home-built 12 x 12 array of two metre yagis on a massive construction in his back garden. Now you can do EME with JT65 and one yagi. That battle is on-going and gets quite heated!

What will be next? Contests? A thorny subject right now.................

73 de Roger, G3LDI