Topband

TopBand: OH2PM/BY1QH

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: OH2PM/BY1QH
From: bragassa@hal-pc.org (Mike Bragassa)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 05:25:21 -0600
Snipped...a bit:
At 08:58 PM 11/18/97 +0000, Harold Smith wrote:
>I just received an E-Mail from David BZ1BM. David is the president of the
>Tsinghua University Radio Club.
>
>David said that Pertti OH2PM gave out the QSL info as via his home call.:-(
>In this case QSL via his home route as he has the logs on his laptop and
BY1QH
>doesn't have a copy. Any qso's made with the call BY1QH must go via K9FD.
>David e-mails the logs to Merv once a month. Merv can confirm old qso's
>also. :-)
>Before Merv took over the chores, all QSLs for BY1QH went to P.O.B. in
Beijing.
>The envelopes were opened and the cards were put in 1 pile and the IRCs and
>green back were in another pile. When the club received them they had no
>idea who sent what.

GLAD TO SEE THAT THERE IS NOW AN OFF-SHORE QSL MANAGER !

When I was in Beijing from 1986-90, I operated from "QH" and used my own
QSL manager. But the other (local) operators used the system(?) described
in this email.

Consequently many QSL's were never answered and BY1QH had a very poor QSL
reputation worldwide. QSL requests even filtered back to my QSL manager or
myself for 'their' QSO's. (Still are !)

Running into someone at Dayton: "Why can't I get a QSL from BY1QH?" This is
why I had a manager for 'my" QSO's.

Glad to see a solution has come about.

73  de Mike K5UO   (Then  NS7Z)
bragassa@hal-pc.org