Topband

TopBand: Observations On 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Observations On 160
From: kh2d@kuentos.guam.net (Jim Kehler)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 06:20:39 +0000
I have only been on 160 for a short time, but I
have noticed some very interesting propagation
on the top band.

1. Exacting hop distances:

Seems whenever I get on 160, I work the same
people, over and over. Not that other people
aren't calling me. But apparantly my signal
propagates so well, nite afte nite, to the
same exact locations, that some people feel
compelled to give me reports, nite after nite.

2. Lack of short hop propagation.

When I venture to 160 to work the same stations
I worked two nites ago, I seem to notice that
I can hear other stations calling me who are
in the general vicinity of those stations I
am working, but the stations I am working can't
seem to hear them. If they could, I'm SURE they
would let the people who have NOT worked me on
160 work me, instead of working me over and
over and over.

3. One Way Propagation (observed mostly to EU)

On many occasions I have two, three, or four
stations giving me signal reports at the same
time.  When I respond to one of them, the others
thank me. Obviously this must be some sort of
group acknowledgment system I am not familar with.
I am thinking about applying for a certificate
- the W.E.A. award - Worked Everybody Atonce.

4. Sunrise/Sunset Openings to Certain Parts of
   Japan from Guam.

Most parts of Japan are easily workable from KH2
on 160 anytime from dusk to dawn. But certain
areas only hear me at my sunrise/sunset.  That,
I am sure, is why they are compelled to come to
my frequency and transmit JA JA JA JA with a 40
over S9 signal repeatedly during the very brief
period that I have at sunrise when I can hear EU.

5. What I have learned about 160.

I have learned that the top band can be a very
frustrating experience for those of us who lack
the farm land required for elaborate antenna systems.
Sleepless nites, headaches from static crashes,
telephones that go nuts whenever the transmitter
is keyed, an XYL who slaps me in the headphones at
6 AM and asks 'Are you still up ??? Have you been to
bed yet ???" . It's not a very 'productive' band, by
any means, for those of us who are use to working
as many people as possible during our operating times.
89 contacts in the SP contest  really didn't get me too
excited.

I'm not working on my low band DXCC. I don't
collect cards. 160 doesn't seem to be a great
band for chit chats, I'm sure somebody somewhere
in the world (other than Japan) has a loud
signal here, but I haven't found him yet.

To me, NOTHING is more frustrating then spending
3 or 4 minutes trying to get a complete call sign
from an S nothing station down in my S9 noise, and
when I finally do get it and put it in the computer,
I find I worked that station on 160 three times in
the last two weeks. No, I take that back. I just
thought of something that is MORE frustrating.
That is trying to copy a callsign of an S nothing
station down in my S9 noise when 3 other stations,
who are 559 and have already worked me 3 times
repeatedly call on top of them.

I guess it takes something 'special' to be a top
band DX'er.  And I think I have figured out that
whatever it is, I don't have it.

I think my top band DX'ing career is rapidly coming
to an end.  So if you hear me on 160 in the next
few months, and you need KH2 for a 'new one', please
give me a call.  And if you hear me on 160 and have
already worked me 3 or 4 times, please DON'T give
me a call, give somebody else a chance to work me
that hasn't worked me already.

73, Jim KH2D

73, Jim KH2D
kh2d@kuentos.guam.net