Topband

Topband: K8R on 160 using SuperFox

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K8R on 160 using SuperFox
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2024 21:54:58 -0400
Hello TopBanders,
As you may know, K8R is a test run for N5J, Jarvis. The season is not ideal for 160. However, we have been testing FT8 SuperFox on the higher bands and the performance with the latest version has been impressive. Importantly, SF can handle up 9 QSO-s at a time without dividing the power, and therefore it is much faster than FT8 F/H. This is especially important for 160 meters! The propagation bump at SR and SS is often short, only10 to 15 minutes long. SF, being able to handle many calls simultaneously, is ideal for taking advantage of these short openings. While we love CW, the reality is that SF FT8 may be the workable alternative this time of the year.

Starting at 0630 UTC (Jul 20) K8R will be on 160 meters using SF FT8. For NA SR we will come on at or before 0930, For details on how to work us see:
https://wsjt.sourceforge.io/SuperFox_User_Guide.pdf
GL and 73,
George,
AA7JV

PS: N5J will on 160 m both on CW and SF FT8 most nights. We will not neglect CW.