Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding
From: "Marinus Willemstijn" <willemma@telkomsa.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 07:56:58 +0200
Thanks to Jim Brown, Bob, Kelly and Jim Lux for your responses to my
request. I appreciate you taking the time in assisting me.

I have read the Polyphaser document TD 1028 where they explained the issue
around cracked concrete bases due to the fact that the J Bolts take the role
of an earth spike and the water in the concrete become steam and causes
cracking.

What I did not mention previously and from the answers I received from you
might play an important role is the fact that my tower is situated between 3
walls of my house. In a sort of an alley. The problem here is that I do not
have a lot of space for long lengths of ground trenches (Only about 3 meters
to the one side). That was one of the main reasons why I decided to start
with grounding below the concrete.

I can put an earth spike about 1 meter from each of the 3 legs of the tower
but that would be the most I could do. That is basically why I thought of
putting 4 spikes below the concrete.

Thanks for the specifications on how far apart they should be. I will in any
case now look at a redesign based on your very well written feedback.

I look forward to receiving any other information that would further assist
me and increase my knowledge on this subject.

Thanks once again to all the people who send me feedback. I appreciate your
assistance.

Marinus Willemstijn
ZS6MAW