[TowerTalk] Grid Dippers'

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grid Dippers'
From: ValErwin@aol.com (ValErwin@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:35:41 EST
Mike:

Over the years, I have owned a variety of Grid Dippers'.  The one I disliked
the most was the Heathkit and I had several models from the Tunnel Dipper to
the latest at the time of  Heath's demise.

My favorites were the JW Millen  and the Kenwood.  My JW Millen which I no
longer have was a tube version so it involved an extension cord, etc.  I
would classify the JW Millen as more of a laboratory type instrument.  JW
Millen came out with a solid state battery-powered version but never got to
lay my "grubbies" on one of those.  I currently have the Kenwood and thus
far, it is my favorite and I have no intentions of letting it go!

The thing that really impresses me about the Kenwood is it's frequency
accuracy.  The Heath's frequency accuracy was terrible!  The JW Millen was
substantially better in that department.  My Kenwood is as accurate as you
can interpret the dial.  Then, if you want any closer accuracy, you can use a
receiver to "zero-in".

Bottom line, go for the Kenwood which is outta' production.  When new they
sold for $75.00 and seem to be holding their price. I got lucky and got mine
at a local TX hamfest for $50.00--

GL

Val
W5PUT