[TowerTalk] Grid dipping coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grid dipping coax
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:50:25 EST
In a message dated 16.11.99 08:52:03 Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:
     For those who need some help on grid dipping open wire or coax line here
is a short course.
K7gco

<< Short out both ends, tie one end to a wooden object with string, pull it
tight 4-5' off the ground and GD the other end where it's half wave, a full
wave on and on.  Listen for the dip frequency in a receiver and record it.
Or tie the unshorted end to a wooden support and GD it at the shorted end at
it's 1/4 WL frequency and all odd 1/4 WL frequencies.  Use  1/2WL in ft'  =
492 xVF/Mhz. You can calculate the VF also.  VF=ft x MHz/492.  Use the least
perceptible dip--loose coupling and measure the frequency.  You can lay coax
on the ground or coil it.
   I had an article in CQ 30 years ago on how to grid dip coax.  Things are
packed here so I don't have a copy handy.
 k7gco >>