[TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs
From: w8aef@worldnet.att.net (Paul Playford)
Date: Tue Aug 5 11:57:48 2003
Gee, I'm not alone in receiving less-than-stellar performance from stubs.  I
have made several sets of stubs using various methods of tuning them and
they just don't work at my QTH.  But I took one of my stubs to a friends QTH
and he was able to show me that my stub did indeed give 20 dB of suppression
on the second harmonic - just like it is supposed to.  And he loaned me one
that he had made and used successfully at his location and it doesn't work
for me either.  I run monobanders and 4 square phased arrays and he runs a
TH-11 and verticals.  He does 16 ground rods arranged around his back yard
(in the city) whereas I only have 2 ground rods and I am in a rural area.

And we have used these same stubs on DXpeditions with good results.

It could be that there is such a thing as a 'hanging tree' for stubs.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A