Re: [TowerTalk] Ice Storm Damage

To: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ice Storm Damage
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:08:53 -0600
I think it depends a lot on your insurance company, the relationship you
have with your agent and whether there is sufficient loss beyond your
deductible to warrant the claim. When we lost 4-5 huge hickories and oaks in
a massive ice storm we had to pay about $1500 for getting the trees removed.
When I went to my insurance agent with a videotape of the tree damage AND
the damage to my vertical, he said to just add the cost of the replacement
antenna parts to the tree bill and give him a number. Didn't even look at
the video. Needless to say, we are still using the same insurance company
(State Farm - relatively expensive) and the same agent.  I don't believe we
were re-rated for this damage, either, since it was a widespread ice storm.
However, if the antenna loss had been the only thing, we would not have met
the deductible. There's cheap insurance and not-so-cheap insurance; I'm not
sure we came out ahead even with that super service. Generally speaking, the
more pricey insurors are less likely to raise your rates, and less likely to
argue over claims; but it's still a game. My agent will tell me whether it's
in my best interest to submit or not. Yours might, too. I don't see a
downside in asking -- you can always just decline to submit if it looks like
it will cause your rates to go up. Or if he acts cagey you just might have
to roll the dice.

73, Chuck, N4NM