RE: [TowerTalk] horizontally polarized antennas and salt water

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] horizontally polarized antennas and salt water
From: "Juan M. Chazarra EA5RS" <ea5rs@ono.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:14:34 +0100
I have two close-spaced (30 km) QTHs
One is inland, 30 km from the coast, city location, HF horizontal
antennas 40m high (top of building)
The other is just 200m from sea line, sub-urban location, similar
antennas 30m high on tower
I can simultaneously monitor signals from each receiver at any of those
2 locations.
Seaside QTH is always better in every direction, specially towards the
sea, but not just in those directions.

Rather than higher level signals on the beach QTH (which is certainly
the case, but just a few dB), main difference is lower noise, and it is
S/N that makes the difference.

I attribute difference between QTHs to:

- Slightly higher signal levels specially towards the sea (no
obstructions, efficient reflections) more evident when band is opening
or closing
- Far lower noise levels (less QRN from less populated area), specially
when beaming towards the sea (no man-made noise sources there!)

As for verticaly polarized antennas, that lower Brewster angle really
helps. I had a friend of mine last CQWW CW at the seaside QTH work 113
countries on 80m with a simple inverted V, when hitting 80 was a big
success in the past from inland locations.

FWIW

Juan EA5RS