Re: [TowerTalk] Field Day Antennas - Multiband Vee-Beam?

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Field Day Antennas - Multiband Vee-Beam?
From: "Steve GW4BLE" <steve.gw4ble@btconnect.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:48:26 -0000
Thanks to those who have responded; here's some clarification on one or two
points:

There are *two* 'Field Days in the UK (/Europe), the first on June 5/6th  is
CW only and covers 160 to 10 metres, the other is on September 4/5th  is SSB
only and covers  80 to 10 meters.

In both contests we operate 'restricted' which means 100W output and a
maximum antenna support height of approx 35 feet for CW and 45 feet for SSB.

The points structure for CW basically favours working other portables, but
given sufficient rate working the USA could  be advantageous. There are no
multipliers, just points per contact.

However, for SSB there are country multipliers to be had per band.

So.....having a vee-beam, albeit quite low, and the ability to move the far
ends around to favoured directions could be advantageous...  this is
unchartered territory for us, hence the posting.

Thanks again to all who have responded thus far - any further
advice/suggestions etc... appreciated.

Steve
GW4BLE