Re: [TowerTalk] Frestanding Dipole Support - inexpensive

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frestanding Dipole Support - inexpensive
From: "Chet" <chetmoore@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:21:03 -0500
Scotty,

The post  that appears immediately below, is one sent by K3LR a few years
back.  This should work for you too. I have to believe it would be a lot
better than a low dipole.  I am sure that the K3LR version came with the
"talent package", your mileage may vary.

73

Chet N4FX

Hello Bill!

I posted this to the reflector last December.
It is a simple, easy and very effective antenna for 160 meters.
Several operators have emailed me after building the antenna and they are
having great results as well.

73!
Tim K3LR
For the ARRL 160 contest a few weekends ago, I needed a quick and easy way
to get on TopBand from my Oklahoma QTH.
I am in a very antenna restricted area and my back yard is only 50 ft deep.

I purchased 450 ft of #16 insulated THHN  wire (about $45.00). I cut three
132 ft lengths. I soldered one length on the center of a SO239 chassis mount
(UHF
female) connector. The other end of this wire I curled around for a string.
The other two 132 ft pcs I soldered to the SO-239's outside (using 2 holes)
points for radials.

With a fishing pole I casted up over the back yard tree that stands about 50
ft tall. I proceeded to pull the curled end with string over the tree. I
pulled the first 20 feet of the antenna (coming from the SO239) vertical
with another string to the chimney of the house. The two radials were pulled
out away from the feed point. The antenna went on top of the tree and down
the other side forming a upside-down "U".

I hooked about 40 feet of RG8X to the feedpoint (also a 4 ft ground rod)
coiling about 20 ft in a 1 ft diameter bunch to form a current choke at the
base.

Inside I hooked up the Icom IC765 and the VSWR was 1.1:1 at 1830 without
trimming.

The antenna worked great! With a part-time 100 watt effort I worked 46
states and 7 DXCC countries. Not bad for a simple 160 meter antenna.

73!
Tim K3LR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: Rick Scott <w7psk@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:08:57 -0800 (PST)

I have a limited lot and want to try to put up a 160 loaded Dipole I have.
In
the front of the lot I have a 35-40 tree I can use (Yes I know NVIS, But
only
looking at 160m States) but in the back I have nothing to hold up the other
end
with.  I have a Chain link meeting a Wood fence back there, but what ever I
use
must be free standing.  Dont think it has to be that high maybe 20ft or so.

I have a 25ft Push up flag pole in the front yard that would be ideal. It
holds
a 4x6 flag  really well even with the huge winds we had recently. However, I
dont think the wife would like me moving it to the back yard.  Plus the
expense
precludes me getting another one, after the 746pro and the steppir the ham
budget is spent :).

So Im down to asking for ideas of what i could use thats

A. easy to assemble
B. Relatively Cheap.

Ideas to ponder are welcome

Scotty W7PSK