Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendations for Purchasing a short 2 Element 40 mete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendations for Purchasing a short 2 Element 40 meter
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 21:08:31 -0400
I used the F12 LL 2el 28ft beam for many years.  I found it to be a very
good performer.  It had about 275khz BW but I had it set for 7225 and below.
It was mounted at 80 ft and then later I had it fixed south at 60ft.  With a
max of 200W, I rarely had trouble breaking a pile-up or getting a run going
in a contest (on CW).

The loading was finicky but not complicated.  Took a few up and downs on a
pulley to get right before mounting.

The antenna is amazingly light.

The biggest issue on it was the use of the LL as element support with some
poorly engineered pinch points that failed.  Once I realized what was
happening, I replaced them with stud cross Ts for more rigid support where
they went through the elements rather than the loops of heavy gauge wire
that it started with.

Conclusion - you could do a lot worse than the F12 LL 2el.  I believe that
the new F12 no longer makes the antenna I bought 10 years ago.

Ed  N1UR