Re: [TowerTalk] Source for #6 Copperweld

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for #6 Copperweld
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 23:35:42 -0400
I'm just wondering if you have worked with 6 awg copperweld.  I have not but
I would be concerned with its stiffness and springiness. I have used smaller
copperweld for temporary antennas in the Caribbean and I had disappointing
results.  The copperweld kept breaking.  I started using 14awg THHN and
never had an issue.  For a longer span like your longwire, heavier THHN
would likely work fine and it's readably available.  Copper wire is also
available hard drawn which adds significant strength but I have not tried
this yet for antennas.

John KK9A

Martin A. Flynn W2RWJ wrote:

Looking to source #6 copperweld for a longwire antenna in less than the
standard 685 foot coil.

Anyone aware of a source for this product by the foot or 1/2 coil?

73

Martin

W2RWJ