Re: [TowerTalk] Welding re-bar, preventing corrosion

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Welding re-bar, preventing corrosion
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:13:01 -0700
Rick:

Why you don't want rebar to stick out of the concrete is two
fold. First, the continuous moisture contact will cause and
keep the corrosion process going continuously.  Secondly,
when reinforcing steel corrodes it expands and will crack
and spall the concrete.

Steel above ground is not continuously exposed to moisture.
It is a cyclical exposure and will take longer to corrode
and is also visible so maintenance can be done. If left
alone it too will corrode and spall / crack the concrete. It
will just take a lot longer all things being equal.

The question of ungalvanized vs. galvanized anchor bolts
boils down to maintenance and the cost there of. Both are
equally strong, galvanized will last longer in a corrosive
environment but cost more. It is a matter of personal or
company preference. Actually the only part of the anchor
bolt that needs to be galvanized is that part that is
exposed out of the concrete.

As far as the rusty bolts are concerned, just before you
install them wire brush off the surface rust and install in
the pour. A yearly visual inspection of the installed bolts
should keep you ahead of any corrosion problems.

As I have posted before, and as Red says, don't weld rebar
unless you are using ASTM A706 bars or are using the AWS
preheat procedure for standard bars.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd

H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X