Re[2]: HD rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: HD rotators
From: John.Evans@comsat.com (John.Evans@comsat.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:58:53 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.010756258

Author:  John Evans at COR-FS5
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date:    1/6/97 3:57 PM

        Steve,
          My rotating tower system uses an HDR 300 rotator operating
        at half-speed through a chain drive. My particular "war
        stories" are that it would not hold the drive shaft provided
        by RTS, which is 2-inch in diameter. I had to get a collar
        welded on to increase the diameter to 3 inches to solve this
        particular problem. My other difficulty has been with the
        small screws that attach it to a mounting plate. Wind-induced
        vibration of some of the antenna elements couples into the
        tower and has twice caused these bolts to unscrew leaving the
        rotator hanging by its control cable! (The reason it happened
        twice is because I did not understand the cause the first
        time around!) When it happened the first time, the fiberboard
        cover was all smashed as well as the internal electronics. I
        had an aluminum box fabricated to replace the fiberboard one.
        This problem seems to have been solved by "Loctiting" the
        bolts into their sockets! Other problems include the control
        cable fouling the brake pall when first installed (resulting
        in the coax loop being shredded and the readout pot being
        smashed), and having to make harder keys. I am curious,
        however, to hear if you ever built someone a propitch rotator
        for this application? John N3HBX.

From: K7LXC@aol.com
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:23:58 -0500