RE: [TowerTalk] Repetition

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Repetition
From: Mel <mel.martin@axare.mail.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:40:54 -0500
I put up a small interlaced yagi for 12/17 that weighs very little. I
thought I was way over designing by putting up a T2X. It's been up about 8
months and I've already had it down once for maintenance (was a problem with
the connector), a defective meter had to be replaced (MFJ sent me a free
replacement... No real complaint), the directional pot is starting to jump
around, and more than once it has refused to turn in the cold WX. Perhaps
I'm just unlucky, but next time I'll use something more expensive! It's also
worth remembering that some amateurs don't do their own tower climbing, so a
couple of trips up the tower negates any cost saving by not getting a solid
rotator.

BTW, in this climate, I would recommend a $1000 rotator to turn a 3 el
SteppIR