[TowerTalk] Greetings to all

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Greetings to all
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:08:17 -0500
Actually putting together a good DX station is a little more complicated
then selecting a good antenna.  The antenna needs to be at the proper height
for the optimum angle of radiation.  This height varies depending on
frequency and conditions which is why serious stations have more than one
antenna.  If your antenna is relatively low, say 30ft, you could make a big
improvement on 15m and 20m by raising it to 60ft.  FWIW, I have had good
luck using a Cushcraft A3 on contest DX-Peditions.

73,
John KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: Craig Markley
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:25:26 -0800

I am a relatively new ham, since 8/06, and am trying to put together a
good dxing station. I currently have a Cushcraft A4S and am thinking
of upgrading it.

The specs for the Cushcraft X7 really look good, but I would like your
overall impression of the X7. I'm not asking for details, but just your
overall impression, if possible. How might it compare with a 4 el SteppIR?

Also, I've heard of a book that reviews and checked specs for a number
of antennas. Where can I find that book?

Thanks,

73, Craig - AD5YJ