Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical

To: "'AB5MM'" <ab5mm@9plus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical
From: "Tod -MN" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:20:01 -0500
As a matter of information I will pass along an equation for calculation of
'equivalent diameter' for triangular towers.
Somewhere I got the following formula for a cylindrical equivalent for
triangular tower like Rohn 45.

  Equivalent Cylindrical Diameter = 2 * CUBEROOT [(T * F^2)/2]

   where T = tube diameter and F = Face width.
   For Rohn 45, T = 1.25"  and F = 18", so cylindrical diameter equivalent
=11.7446"

I would expect that Rohn 25 would have a smaller Equivalent Cylindrical
Diameter and your estimate of 12" diameter may be high.

I have used this formula to calculate Equivalent Cylindrical Diameters for
Rohn/Spaulding HDX which I have used in modeling [HyTower] and it seems to
provide results that are close to what is measured using a General Radio
1606A RF Bridge at the base.

My experience with an MFJ259B to make 160m measurements has not been
encouraging. It may be that I am too close to BC stations that contribute to
the signal that is being read by the instrument.

I don't use it for 160 measurements any more, but rather lug out the 1606A
and signal generator [the MFJ259B is OK but somewhat frequency 'agile'] and
a detector such as an IC-706.  For a 120 foot tall tower with an insulated
base a value of 10 -j29 ohms for 1.7 MHz at the base is probably within the
accuracy expectation of the MFJ instrument, but the R component seems low.
Measuring the frequency [or frequency range] at which the X drops to zero
should give you an estimate of the resonant frequency of the tower. <it may
be that you have to settle for determining what the frequency range is over
which the X is low, but not zero, and where the X value begins to increase.
This change from lowest value to higher value provides a clue as to where
the sign of the reactance is changing.>

I don't know how to assess the 'value' of the readings at the other
frequencies. A 120 foot tall tower certainly could have a 30 +j100 ohm input
at the top end of 75 meters since the 120' length is in the range of 1/2
wavelength on 75 meters. [depending on the effective cylindrical diameter of
the tower]. Frankly, I would have expected the input impedance on 75 meters
to be closer to 250 +j300 ohms if you are really close to a 1/2 wave.

The excitation methods suggested by Frank and others probably are the
quickest way to get a fix on things if you don't have a real RF bridge.

Tod, K0TO