[Towertalk] Statics 101

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Statics 101
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:17:19 -0000
ARGH!  How many times do we have to go through this.  When you have a
2:1 advantage the ground crew only pulls down on the pole with 1/2 the
weight of the load so the load on the gin pole is reduced by 1/2 the
weight of the load.  It is obvious from the vectors.  Try this out for
size.  Go up the pole with a rope, over the pulley, down to the load,
through another pulley, and back up to the top of the pole and tie it
off.  Now lift 100# and hold it.  Each rope section now has 50# of
tension in it.  2 lengths of rope from the top of the pole go to the
load offsetting its 100# weight, one length of rope goes down to the
ground crew which has to hold the 50# tension.  Since all 3 are held up
by the pole the pole supports 3*50# or only 150#, not the 200# it would
have to hold without the extra pulley.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net