RE: [TowerTalk] elevated anchor guy points

To: "'Joe Subich, K4IK'" <k4ik@subich.com>, <keith@dutson.net>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] elevated anchor guy points
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:44:49 -0000
Underground it is a much harder problem for all those reasons.  My
comments were in response to the off hand comment about it being enough
even if it was on top of the ground.  Try the calculation with the block
sitting on a hard surface and not dragging, just pivot around the point
closest to the tower by pulling on the 5' pipe at say a 45 degree upward
angle like guy wires would.

On back of the envelope estimate...

The block is 3x5', so the center is 2.5' from the front edge, that is
one arm.  The post is 5' from the top of the block, if I didn't miss a
decimal point a 4yd block 3x5 on top would be 7' thick more or less. So
7' plus a 5' pole is 12' high, ignore the 2.5' on the bottom and figure
that arm is just 12'.  And make it worse by assuming the guy wires pull
perpendicular to that arm, and gravity pulls down perpendicular to the
2.5' arm...  not quite right but what the heck.  So the force needed to
overturn the block pulling on the top of the post is 2.5/12 times the
weight of the block, or about 1/5th the weight.  At about 150#/ft^3 that
is 16200#, and 1/5 of that is 3240# which just happens to be a hair more
than the static tension on 5 sets of 1/4" ehs guy wire properly
installed.  So as far as tipping over the ce was probably right, until
the wind started blowing.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net