[Towertalk] Mast Coupler?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mast Coupler?
From: w8aef@worldnet.att.net (Paul Playford)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:45:05 -0000
You don't say what you are going to put on the mast.  If it's light weight
and small you could use 2" aluminum boom sections as your mast.  These boom
sections are usually 4 to 6 feet long and swedged on one end so they slip
together.

If you are going to put something heavier/bigger on it I would not put a
splice in a 16 foot mast as that will be the weak point.

I find that the mast from commercial VHF base station antennas make great
gin poles.  Don't know the manufacturer but they have 4 half wave folded
dipoles, and I see them all the time at hamfests, cheap.  Remove the
dipoles, seperate the bottom section from the top and you have a piece of
1/4" wall aluminum tubing 2" in diameter, 12 feet long.  Put an eye bolt in
one end for
your block and tackle and fabricate a fixture to secure the other end to the
tower and you're all set.  Light weight and strong enough to work with 25G.

de Paul, W8AEF