[TowerTalk] Problem That Needs Ideas

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Problem That Needs Ideas
From: <kk9a@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:00:18 -0000
Interesting theory Brett.  I own two Sixpaks and I've had similar problems
with each, especially when using a Top Ten band decoder to control them.  I
felt the problem was there was not enough voltage at the coil to pull in the
relay.  In one case I solved the problem by stretching the relay spring
slightly and in the other with a long (350') control wire I increased the
voltage using an external relay after the band decoder.  My guess is the
rotor brake is putting enough vibration to the relay to pull in the contact.

John  KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (another)Problem That Needs Ideas
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:10:28 +0000

>N4GI asked:

>Don't have an RCS8V, but it reminds me of a problem I occasionally have
with a sixpack switch... One or two of the ports on one side are
intermittent unless I click the brake of my >ham rotor 50 feet above it.

>If I don't hear anything when I turn things on, I can click the brake a
couple of times, then the relay engages. I think it's the 10M port.

>Odd, but I just have lived with it. Dirty contacts?

>The relays used are 3P2T, with one pole used for locking out the other port
from
>that antenna.

I find that over time, that pole sometimes fails to make contact on the
unused
port, thus preventing the port other from selecting it.

Even after cleaning the relay contacts & giving the relay frames a little
tweak,
it's still intermittent here & the solution has been to leave the cover off,
so that
I can either apply a little pressure to complete the connection, or merely
wiggle the relay slightly to achieve the same - perhaps what the brake on
the
rotator is doing for Blake.

73, VR2BrettGraham