Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???

To: <Eg9k@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:50:15 -0500

> Hi all -   This past summer I had a  24' x 30' slab poured 4" thick with a
> 3'
> x 4' by 16' deep at one corner to build  a barbecue on it. I was surprised
> when I noticed they weren't using any rebar or  heavy wire.

It depends on what kind of stresses the concrete has to endure from use and
the weather.

My shop floor has the new, "high fiber" concrete and it's a great floor.  It
also has the heavy wire reinforcement, yet there are about 5 or 6 find
cracks that run diagonally across each of the four corners.  The thermal
stress in the corners has caused it to crack.  They are fine cracks though
and would disappear for another season with a good coat of paint.

However the shop has a "rat wall" around it that extends below the frost
line.  Were I to do it again I'd put in a complete seperate foundation and
isolate the floor from the foundation with 1/2" bead board. The shop is
heated with a gas fired IR tube heater and the floor reaches room
temperature which can be 72F or higher when I have some resin lay-ups
curing. That means on a cold night the temperature of that concrete goes
from 72F to below zero in less than a foot.

>From a temperature standpoint you could walk on that floor barefoot.  Having
a distinct dislike for picking metal splinters out of my feet I'll let some
one else do that.

I do need to put a couch, and easy chair out there.  The computer, which is
part of the *old* ham station "out there" has a large screen and built in TV
tuner/recorder as does this one here in the ham shack.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com