Re: [TowerTalk] San Fran winds

To: "'K6XN'" <k6xn@comcast.net>,"'Rob Atkinson, K5UJ'" <k5uj@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] San Fran winds
From: "Kevin J. Rowett" <krowett@rowett.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:00:01 -0800
> We did lose a huge construction crane in Cupertino several
> miles from my QTH that was blown over in wind gusts reported
> to exceed 60 MPH....there will probably be video of the
> fallen crane in the local media this evening.

I drove by the crane site this AM...it right on a major road
to I-280.

The crane is boom and truss type, with a pretty long arm at the
top to reach across the building.  Overall, the crane is probably
75 feet tall, with the reach arm 25 feet out.

The vertical section came loose from the main crane platform
at the first section, about 10 feet off the ground.  I didn't
see any broken metal.  It looked like the bolts were just taken
out of the section joint, and the upper portion slipped off.

The vertical section, and the extended arm fell on the structure
being built.  No real damage evident to the structure though.

Repair will be pretty easy - get another crane in the pick up
the pieces, put on new stick, and back to work.  Probably
set the project back six months.

I also live in Cupertino - no damage to my antenna farm.  The
winds on Jnauary 1st were faster, and lasted longer.

-KR- N6RCE