[TowerTalk] balun design summary and data

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] balun design summary and data
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:51:00 -1000

KH7M wondered:

> > >So what happens to your operation once the bead
> > >balun gets hot and experiences the "big bang" ?
> > >
> > >Does your vswr go up?  How do you know down in the
> > >shack that the balun is now NG?

Greg replied:

> I have caught the inexpensive bead Baluns heating and
> stopped transmitting.  You can watch the reflected power
>on a Bird rise as they heat up.  When they go bang, they
>blow out the middle of the bead stack and destroy the outer
> housing.  There is no longer a connection with the antenna
>and you have parts in the yard.

Then I am ok with my two Force 12 antennas and the
F12 bead B-1 baluns.  I  have the C4 with separate
lines and baluns on the boom: one for the EF140S
40 meter dipole,  the other for the C3.  Have
run QRO a lot,  no problems as described above
have occurred in several months since the new
Henry Ultra linear has come to live here on Kauai!
Worked R1MVA on the first call!  Only 5 degrees
to the west of the N pole form here, and a loooong
ways as well.

73,  Jim,  KH7M