Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning a four square

To: "Dana Roode" <droode@cox.net>, "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning a four square
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:23:47 -0000
Tuning one element as you describe is for preliminary adjustment only.  When
all elements are in place you tune it as a system.

I assume you are feeding the 4 square with a phasing box such as Comtek.

The way I tuned my 4 squares was to measure the power loss into the dummy
load.  The frequency where the minimum power goes into the dummy load is the
system resonant frequency for that direction.  If all elements are equal
(they seldom are) the resonant frequency will come out the same for all
directions.  But when it doesn't you just allow a little Arizona windage for
tuning, and make sure all elements are as physically identical as possible.

With buried radials I found the system was flat DC to light.  When I went to
elevated radials I found the system tuned very sharply, which to me
indicates the RF is going into the ether rather than into the ground losses.

I do not use shunt coils at the feed point on my elements as I believe they
would introduce phase shift and screw up the pattern.  If you are talking
about a parasitic array you should certainly remove the shunt coils as they
will screw up the inductance of the open feed line.

Your smileage may vary.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A