Re: [TowerTalk] Roof Counterpoise

To: "'Jason Reber'" <jreber@thebluezone.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roof Counterpoise
From: "w4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 12:10:27 -0500

Best solution is to configure it as a ground plane vertical.  They work very
well indeed.  Cut 4 pieces of regular telephone cable for a 1/4 wave on the
longest band.  Measure from the vertical base point  the 1/4 lengths for
each of the higher bands, open the jacket and cut one  of the wires to serve
as the 1/4 wave radial for that band.  Do this for each successively higher
band.  Attach all of them to the ground base of your vertical and you're in
business.  Since my vertical was self-supporting, I just used the telephone
cable tied off to the four corners of my roof.  It's OK if they droop over
the ends of the roof.  For a mast mounted vertical, I used a SS stranded guy
wire as the support guy and messenger cut for the longest 1/4 wave band, egg
insulator, and balance of the guy to the support point.  I then  hung the
telephone cable from it for the higher bands.

I used this system for several years all over the world and it always worked
very well, especially on 40M.  Try one, you'll  like the results.

Here is a very good primer on verticals by W4RNL:

http://www.cebik.com/fdim/fdim4.html

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"