[TowerTalk] Guy-wire resonance solutions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy-wire resonance solutions
From: n2rd@arrl.net (Rajiv Dewan, N2RD)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:10:21 -0400
>From a purely theoretical perspective, as I have no tower, one could use a
quarter wave shorted stub to detune the guys.

Imagine, if you will, a wire 1/4 wave long that is parallel to the guy wire
that is open near the antenna but shorted to the guy at the far end.

One could construct this quite easily in this fashion:

1. Start with a 3 in long stiff stainless steel , drill holes at both ends.
2. Cut an angled slot into one of the holes so that the strip can slipped on
to the guy wire without having to undo the guy wires.
3.  Attach a 1/4 wave long wire to the other hole in the strip.
4. Use twine or rope looped around the strip to position the strip on the
guy wire.
5. A little tension on the attached 1/4 wave wire will secure the strip to
the guy wire.

The velocity factor should be pretty close to 1.

The strip could also be substituted by stiff ss wire, a looped strap, etc.
Whatever you have in your junk box.

Regards,
Rajiv, N2RD