[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: n3gpu@711online.net (N3GPU)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:56:54 -0400
> I have to admit that I am much more interested in reading about larger
> antenna systems and tower issues on TT, but I would enjoy reading more on
> home brewed backyard/apartment antenna systems somewhere, if not for more
> here.........and hope that those who have put together decent systems
would
> not be discouraged from sharing thier notes and questions and
acomplishments.

> 73  Paul  N0AH

Paul,

I'm mostly a lurker and learner here, grateful for a lot of advice I've put
to good use.  But your comments above really "resonated" here.  I did ham
radio from small lots for nearly 30 years before moving to a rural QTH 7
years ago that could accomodate multiple towers and long wire runs.  I
worked my first 192 countries using verticals with poor radial systems that
were too close to chain link fences and rain gutters (which I sometimes
suspected were doing most of the radiating!), some wire antennas that
"shouldn't" have worked, and later a Butterfly beam 12 feet above a 20-foot
roof (wow, directivity!...well, a little).

During those years I appreciated the advice and experience of a lot of hams
who operated HF enjoyably under similar, and even more restricted,
conditions.  I'm not aware of a forum devoted to limited-space HF antennas,
but even now I'd enjoy participating in one.

73 - Paul N3GPU

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----