[Towertalk] Cable Stress Corrosion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cable Stress Corrosion
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:26:44 -1000
Hi,

Have been wondering about lowering my crank up for
the Summer.  As I have noticed my crank up cable
rusts more than the cable on the winch for  tilt down
use.  Must mean that there is more chance of rust when
a cable is under tension.

So,  has anyone else noticed this?  Done anything like lower
the tower until the cable is slack during "off" times on the bands?

Had the cable here in Hawaii rust out and break after about 7
years before;  but was under tension the entire time.  New
cable has been up about three years now;  would like it to
last longer this time,  hi.

Do my best to keep squirting wire rope lube on what part of
the cable I can reach,  but is certainly not the entire length
by far.

I am not in a salt air environment;  am a couple miles inland from
the ocean and some 500 feet above same.  But the rel. humidity
is almost always over 60% or so.  Just now on a beautiful clear
evening,  indicator shows 77% rel. hum.

73,  Jim  KH7M