[TowerTalk] Need info & manual on 20 meter beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need info & manual on 20 meter beam
From: gjerning@flash.net (Arne Gjerning)
Date: Tue Aug 19 00:58:11 2003
The LJ-205CA is NOT anywhere near the same antenna.  What Chuck, N6PSN, has
is the ORIGINAL LONG JOHN series 20M yagi from late 50s/early 60s.  He
described the yagi correctly as having a 46 ft boom; whereas the LJ-205CA
has ONLY a 34ft boom.  His antenna is built like a "MACK TRUCK" compared to
the LJ-205CA.

These old Long John are hard to find.  They were very heavy antennas and
construction wise somewhat like the TELREX 20M yagi construction.  Doubt
that his Long John will be on the HyGain web site. (years ago in Oregon a
good friend had one of these yagis.  Very impressive at 70ft in 1965.)

Chuck, in my opinion, has a great, strong yagi that will require a sturdy
support.  And a strong rotator.  Do NOT trust the Tail Twister with this
one.  BTW, I use the old HyGain ROTOBRAKE Model 400 here and its from the
same era.  Turns my 5el 52ft boom 20M yagi nicely.

Chuck, hope you get a manual for the antenna.  Post a picture when its up.

73 de Arne N7KA