[TowerTalk] Phasing transformer answers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phasing transformer answers
From: "Clint Talmadge W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:32:43 -0500
Bill - KR8L - came up with the answers, as well as the original calculations
for the windings.

Bill said:

"Well ... I can't imagine that solid or stranded would make a difference in
this application, but that's just a guess.  Thinking back to the many
toroidal inductors and transformers that I have done for kits, it seems like
they are usually made with solid, enameled wire.  So, I would say that solid
is a safe way to go for sure, but I would bet that stranded would work also.

Looking through the reference * that I sent earlier, I found these words on
page 3-4: "The windings on transmission-line transformers consist of
parallel wires or twisted wires....  Some controversy exists about whether
the parallel-wire winding is better or worse than the twisted-wire winding
in terms of impedance and efficiency, but both methods seem to provide
satisfactory results.  Typically, the twisted-wire windings are configured
to have between 8 and 10 turns per linear inch.""

* - A chapter on transformers from an old out of print book -

Clint Talmadge - W5CPT