[Towertalk] WX0B Six-Pack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] WX0B Six-Pack
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:17:04 -0000
It appears that the relays used in the six-pack do not tolerate much lower
than 12v.  I had intermittent problems with mine, although my situation was
much worse than yours.  I used a Top Ten Band decoder for the switching.  I
also switched a band pass filter with this output and used diodes to
separate the antenna relay from the bandpass filter relay.  Then I had about
400' of 18ga wire going to the antenna relay. It worked most of the time,
but on occasion (always during a contest) a relay wouldn't pull in.   I
solved this problem (I hope) by building a small external relay box.  The
decoder switches a double pole relay which controls the bandpass filter and
antenna relays.  This eliminated the lossy diodes and I now  have 13.8V
leaving the house.  I probably could have increased the voltage on the
decoder to 15V and everything may have worked, but I didn't want to take
that risk.  It appears that you have an ideal installation and may just need
new relays.  My six-pack is one of few things that still works after a
direct lightning strike two weeks ago.

73,
John