[TowerTalk] what is the experience with F12 dual-band ants and N radios?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] what is the experience with F12 dual-band ants and N radios?
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:27:23 -0500
We used Dunestars at N4AF for the CQWW CW. They were between the exciters and
the amps, never subjected to the 1.5 kW levels.

Some antenna/band combos were on different towers, some combos in use were on
the same tower. I felt the results were outstanding. We had zero crossband
interference except +/- 1 kHz on a direct harmonic (a 50 over 9 signal). If we
had added maybe a half dozen stubs here and there, even those would have gone to
zilch.

The problem that began this thread was the exceptional closeness of antenna's on
the same boom. Clearly the filters are overmatched here and help from stubs is
required, besides possible cross-modulation if two transmitters were running at
the same time. Particularly since other antenna combos may not require stubs
beyond the filters, the stubs I mentioned deal with the same boom combination,
without requiring switching the entire station to a stub-based operation.

A stub system is not without expense beyond the RG213. You still have to have a
switching system to make sure a given stub is out when it's band is being
transmitted on. How many switches and relays? Not at all to argue with what you
can do with stubs, or with your figures on how much isolation can be gained.

After that contest, I'm really in favor of Dunestars with targeted stubs where
overloads still occur. This would **certainly** include any situation with two
separately useable antenna's on the same boom.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA