[TowerTalk] Re: ROOF MOUNT TOWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: ROOF MOUNT TOWERS
From: "Bill Ralston" <n7vm@lgcy.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:04:10 -0700
> In a message dated 1/22/04 1:53:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> davarc@premier1.net writes:
>
> > Can any body tell me anything about roof mounted towers??

One source for such is Glen Martin Engineering www.glenmartin.com.  I have
an RT424 mounted on the ridge of my roof with yagis for 432, 144, and 50
MHz.  At times I also had a small tribander on it as well (at which point
it, and the Yaesu G450 rotator , were overloaded).

One consideration with a roof mounted tower is noise.  Wind can cause
vibration of the antennas/mast/tower which is transmitted into the framing
of the house.  Kind of a tuning fork effect: a generally low frequency hum
would resonate through the upstairs of the house with any wind over about 15
MPH.  The pitch also changed depending on the antenna arrangement.  I've
finally got the VHF antennas arranged so there is neglibile noise except at
very high (40 MPH or so) wind speeds.

73 de Bill N7VM